Thursday, December 28, 2023

Group of Seven December Torn Edge Technique



Be sure and check out the Group of Seven Link above for all the awesome
samples by the Group of Seven Cardmakers.

Videos: 
1)  Torn ripped card stock into beautiful cards by Simon Hurley (14:35)
2)  Torn Stenciling Technique by Gina K (5:11)
3)  Ripped Paper Technique by Natasha Foote (12:24)

I used Simon's Video for my "It's Your Day card" and
Natasha's Video for my "Happy Birthday card."

All 3 video's are great and show you numerous techniques with several examples:-)

****************************

My 1st Card using Simon Hurley's Video using Torn Ripped Masking Tape 
into Card Technique. 
Video Starts at 10:45 for this card technique.
 
I used ripped 3M Wide Masking Tape over the 110# Arches Hot Press Paper.
Then used Simon's technique to blend the DOX inks using TH Blending Sponge.
Used DOX inks: Peeled Paint, Salty Ocean and Chipped Sapphire.
And then removed the torn edges masking tap...Wow!!
 
Next I stamped SU Retired Sale-a-Bration stamp set: "Flowering Fields" for the 1st time
using VersaFine Clair Nocturno Pigment ink.
The sweet tiny butterflies are part of the set.  I used Derwent Watercolour pencils on 
the butterflies and Wink of Stella for a bit of sparkle, which shows up IRL:-) 

Used MISTI to stamp the sentiment with black pigment ink.
The sentiment is a SU retired Hostess set.."Happiest Birthday Wishes".

Popped up the card front with craft foam and added to Neenah cardbase and
Done!  I really liked the Torn Edge Technique and will use again:-)

**********************

My 2nd card using Natasha's Ripped Paper Technique with watercolors and vellum.

The close up!

Here is the close up showing off the Shine from the heat embossed stamped 
sentiment and the pretty shiny Gansai Tambi metallic Gem Colors Pigment Watercolors.

I used #4 watercolor brush and all 6 colors from the set..Red, Pink, Yellow Gold, Green, 
Blue and Violet:-)  When completely dry (I used heat tool) I placed in
MISTI and stamped the Retired Hostess SU "Happiest Birthday Wishes" set using
Clear Versa Mark ink and Heat Embossed with Wow Opaque Bright White Regular
Powder.  Such beautiful shine on the sentiment and watercolored Gem colors:-)

I then added my torn vellum and Arches Hot Press using foam tape to pop them up.
I closely followed Natasha's video and her 1st ripped card technique.

I loved both cards,  but this is my favorite.  
A great way to use different watercolor products, which I have:-)

I hope you join us on our Group of Seven Linky:-)

Merry Christmas and Happy Healthy New Year dear friends.
Love and Hugs..



**********************

Supplies:
Card #1
Stamps: Ret. SU Flowering Fields.  Ret SU Happiest Birthday Wishes.
Paper: Neenah Solar White Crest Smooth 110# and Arches Hot Press. SU Vellum.
Inks: Clear Versamark.  DOX inks: Peeled Paint, Salty Ocean and Chipped Sapphire.
VersaFine Clair Nocturno Pigment ink. Derwent Watercolour pencils.
Accessories: T.H. Blending Sponges.  MISTI. Wow EB Powder. Heat Tool. Wow Opaque Bright White Regular EB Powder., Craft Foam.

Card #2
Stamps: SU Retired Hostess,  "Happiest Birthday Wishes" set again:-)
Paper: Arches Hot Press WC paper.  SU Vellum. Neenah Solar White CS.
Inks:  Gansai Tambi metallic Gem Colors Pigment Watercolors.  Clear Versamark ink.
Accessories:  #4 watercolor brush.  MISTI. Wow Opaque Bright White Regular
Powder. Heat Tool. Foam Tape. 

25 comments:

  1. Two beautiful cards, Nancy, using our Torn Edge technique! Love the vibrant blue and green in the first one, and love the layering with the vellum in the second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two lovely designs using two of the torn edge techniques Nancy! My fav is the double torn edge with card and vellum - what a great look against the stripes of metallic watercolor paints! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Nancy. LOVE the beautiful ink blended colours of your first design, which look so lovely with the mix of stamps. The double ripped edges add so much texture to your second card, which is gorgeous with the gem watercolours. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy your cards are both really lovely - but it's the second one's torn edges that are really striking among all I've seen today! Is it the paper/vellum you've used or your photography skills? Either way, it's amazing!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely the cardstock and vellum combo that is amazing, Michele. I used SU vellum, which is a thicker cardstock vellum:-) Also the metallic paint is so shiny and beautiful. And...the white heat embossed shiny sentiment turned out beautifully too:-) Can you tell...I was thrilled with this card, but still enjoyed the 1st card and the technique:-) Love and hugs...Nancy

      Delete
  5. Two beautiful cards. Love the backdrop for those pretty flowers, and the rainbow design is just gorgeous! The torn edges on both designs look amazing, especially love the vellum. Best wishes for a very Happy, and Healthy New Yeat xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. wasn't this a fun technique :) Two beautiful examples Nancy, I especially love the torn velum xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...a really fun technique and the vellum was my fav too:-) All the Group of Seven girls samples are awesome too:-) Love and Hugs....

      Delete
  7. The ink blending over the masking is such a wonderful look, Nancy, but I was blown away by the beautiful metallic rainbow of colors with the torn vellum and cardstock. The torn edges offset like that is such an artistic look and really makes your card stand out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The metallic rainbow of colors is even MORE Gorgeous IRL:-) Love when that happens:-) TFS your sweet comment, Bobby. Happy creative New Year:-)

      Delete
  8. Both these cards are fantastic. Thanks for sharing two ways to use torn paper. Don't they look great. I have those metallic gem colours so I just might have to CASE you - if I can find the time! Brilliant inspiration. Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Nancy, I really love both of these! The colors are beautiful and the techniques you used produced beautiful results. The gentle waves of colors on your first card draw me into their depths, and the shimmery rainbow is such a pretty way to back up your birthday sentiment. I like the effect of layering cardstock over the vellum edge. Even without popping up it adds a lot of depth. I hope we can have many play dates in 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I can't wait for our next get together...although..we might be a little distracted, since we will want to play with Sophie:-) I will be able to share both my B-day torn edge cards with you IRL...I do not plan to use them until Feb:-) Maybe we could play with this technique and I can share my Gem paints, etc...I have lots of SU Vellum too:-) Love and Hugs...Nancy

      Delete
  10. Wow, these cards are awesome, Nancy. The blended greens and blues look beautiful for the scene you stamped. BUT, your second card blew me away. Not only is it charming but the sparkle is stunning. I love how you used the vellum torn edges with the paper. It is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your enthusiastic comment, my friend. It sure has been a fun Group of Seven technique:-) Love and Hugs and Happy Creative New Year:-)

      Delete
  11. Two beautiful torn edge cards, Nancy! Love the irregular edges and your sponged color with the contrast of the dark silhouette stamping and sweet stamped butterflies! The second card is so festive with the bright metallic colors and vellum edges! Happy New Year, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie for your sweet comment. It sure is an awesome technique this month, but I say that every month:-) All the girls cards have been so inspiring and the videos were so helpful. Wishing you a wonderfully creative New Year, dear friend:-)

      Delete
  12. Beautiful cards - especially the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two beautiful cards using torn paper.

    Happy New Year to you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, these cards are fantastic, Nancy! The ink color combo on the first card is beautiful, and the little blue butterfly in the white space looks so pretty! The second card is my favorite too. The shimmer of the gem watercolor and the shine of the heat-embossing are just beautiful against the rainbow colors, and I also love the layering effect of the torn vellum and white panels.
    Best wishes for a happy, healthy, and crafty New Year! Hugs.. Hideko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Hideko for your thoughtful comment. I think the 2nd card is going to be one of my favorite cards...ever:-) I think it is going to go to Denny for his January birthday, so it will not have to leave our home:-) Happy, Healthy, Crafty New Year to you too...Love and Hugs, dear friend...Nancy

      Delete
  15. Two wonderful cards spotlighting the torn edge technique. The second rainbow watercoloured card is so pretty…. love a good rainbows creation! 😉
    Hugs. 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trina...TFS your sweet comment, my friend. Hopefully you will get a chance to play in this fun and easy Torn Edge Technique:-) Happy Creative New Year... Love and Hugs..Nancy

      Delete
  16. Two beautiful cards Nancy! I love the masked card and the shimmery rainbow is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous cards Nancy... lovely masking and I do really like the double torn edge one, Robyn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving your much appreciated comments! Hugs....Nancy