Thursday, September 1, 2016

CAS Mix Up September Challenge: Marbling


It is time for the CAS Mix Up September Challenge: Stamping + Marbling + Your Choice. I used the messy,  but very fun Shaving Cream Marbling Technique. My Choice..stenciling, fussy cutting and die cut.


This was my 1st time to try the Shaving Cream Marbling Technique.  I have added video's below on the technique.  I quickly discovered to do this technique in the kitchen near a sink!  Or at the least...with lots of paper towels handy.

My supplies: 10" paper plate, paper towels, scraper, butter knife, skewer, SU reinkers, Whisper White CS and my DH's Shaving Cream :-)

I spread a thick layer of shaving cream onto my plate.  Then used butter knife to smooth out the shaving cream.  Dropped Melon Mambo, Wild Wasabi, So Saffron, Tangerine Tango and Peakaboo Peach.  So...how did I get the colors for my coffee cup?  Read on please......

I used my skewer to swirl the inks around in a circular motion not blending too much so the swirls would show.  Then the fun began...I laid my 1st piece of Whisper White Thick CS onto my shaving cream and pressed down lightly.  Picked up and placed onto a piece of paper towel.  Then scraped off the cream,  but...pressed too hard and in a straight line, which smeared and ruined my piece...Oh well,  my 1st try.  Looked at all the cream left...too much to waste.

Next step...used my knife to spread out shaving cream again.  Added a few more drops of ink.  Then tried again...this time not pressing down hard with scraper and and removing cream in a circular motion.  Way Cool results...got a beautiful piece for a future card :-) I repeated these steps and got Two more pieces each a bit darker for future use.

Still plenty of shaving cream,  but turning brown so......I added brown reinkers: Crumb Cake, Soft Suede, Chocolate Chip and Melon Mambo.  Looked like chocolate syrup and raspberries..Yum!

I swirled around the colors and placed my TCW Caffe Latte Stencil over the cream.  I only got one good image with a bit of smearing on the edge.  I let it dry and placed my stencil over the image and traced it with my art pen and fussy cut.  Loved the results.

My 5th image from the original plate of shaving cream resulted in this really fun cup of Mocha :-)  I used a very old retired SU stamp set..."Like it a Latte" for all my stamped images including the whipping cream and straw.

Enjoy and do give the Shaving Cream Technique a try for our CAS Mix Up September Marbling Challenge.  Be sure and check out the other DT girls cards and our special Guest Designer this month Kimberly's (wienerhoneymooner) 2 cards too.  We would love to have you join in the fun this month.

Thank you for stopping by and reading my long description, but especially for your comments.  Hugs,  Nancy


Video's
Shaving Cream Technique by Stamp TV (4:56)
Shaving Cream Technique by meaningfulmama (1:13)
Marbling with shaving cream and stencils by Amy Pearce (5:39)

9 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful example of marbling. Love the coffee, chocolate and raspberry colours ... that does sound yummy!! :) Great design and love the added texture and sparkle from your "foam". Great job with marbling! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect blend of colours for a coffee cup! Love the way the stamp adds the foam to the top! I have to check out those other marbling videos and see if I learn anything other than what I learned from the SCS one that I used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors and swirled effect you got on this, Nancy! It's perfect for a coffee cup! Fun stamped "steam" and the "whipped cream" adds extra texture and fun! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appreciate all the step by step tips... especially as this'll be my first go with marbling, too!
    LOVE your coffee cup. Such fabulous, deep, rich colours. Fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, be sure and check out all the videos on the CAS Mix Up September Marbling blog. Also, each of the DT and GD's cards used different techniques.
      Can't wait to see your marbling card. Hugs, nancy

      Delete
  5. Love your marbled cup Nancy! great colors - I smiled about all your efforts to use the shaving cream technique! you persevered and came out with a lovely result! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fun card. The swirling marbling tuned out beautifully. Thank you for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the marbling--and reading about your adventure in making a few pieces. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think there is something wrong with me: I get hungry when I look at some of your cards. The color combinations remind me of something yummy. That may be a coffee cup, but I envision it as a transparent cup filled with chocolate brownie chunk ice cream with swirls of raspberry syrup. Yum.

    Oh--the card? It's delightful, too. Love the depth and how you used the swirls both as a background and as steam coming up from the coffee/ice cream. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving your much appreciated comments! Hugs....Nancy