Monday, May 21, 2018

Twofer May Butterfly Challenge

Loving how our butterflies are showing up on our flowers.
The perfect Challenge for Challenge #5, Darnell!




I used a NBUS stamp set "Layered Butterflies" designed by Shirley of "Bees Knees".
Shirley is one of the talented designers for STAMPlorations.

Here are my Two Cards.  



Here is a close up of my card using Bisters pigment powders for the background.


Of all the backgrounds I made recently on our trailer camping/hiking vacation, 
this background with my new (to me) Bisters pigment powders was my favorite.

I just sprinkled Bisters on Strathmore Hot Press paper
and spritzed with water using  my TH spritzer.
I used: Mahogany, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Natural and black Bisters.

After getting home I finished my card by Die Cutting the piece
with CUTplorations Crazy Double Stitch Rectangle Die.

Then placed in MISTI and Stamped my Butterfly.  Next stamped sentiment
using a piece of Mahogany colored white CS.

Popped image up on SU Whisper White Thick card base using
fun foam and Done!

I loved how it turned out. 

Here is the Close Up of my 2nd card.  Same butterfly stamp,  but very different design.


Shirley has many card samples using her new "Layered Butterflies" stamp set.  
Be sure and check out her blog (shirley-bee's stamping).

I was inspired by This Gorgeous card by Shirley.  Mine turned out very different,
but still liked the results.  Thanks Shirley.


I used Distress Ink refills:Blueprint Sketch, Dusty Concord and SU 
Daffodil Delight inks.  I added small drops of DI's and blew with a straw.
I added the yellow by stamping with the smaller stamps.

Next fussy cut my butterfly and set aside.
Then used diluted splatters of the blue and yellow inks for a background.

Then stamped the sentiment and die cut the card front with Penny Black Antique Frame Die.

Shaped my butterfly with my bone folder and popped up with dimensionals.
Finally popped up the main image with fun foam and done.

I would like to try Shirley's technique with Alcohol Inks on Yupo paper.

Thank you Shirley for the inspiration and your awesome new stamp set:-)

Be sure and check out the fun challenge and wonderfully creative Twofer designs
by Darnell and her amazing DT and GD plus...the growing gallery!
You have until the 24th to play along. Hugs.


Adding 1st card to STAMPlorations: CAS Challenge: CAS Things with Wings

 STAMPlorations Theme and Sketch: Only Theme this month..Things with Wings

STAMPplorations Never-Ending Anything Goes

STAMPlorations Inspiration Projects #173..Shirley..Things with Wings



Supplies Card #1:
Stamps: Layered Butterflies
Paper: SU Whisper White Thick.  Strathmore Hot Press.
Inks: Archival Jet Black.  SU Daffodil Delight.
         Bisters Pigment Inks: Mahogany, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Natural and black.
Accessories: MISTI. TH Spritzer. CUTplorations Crazy Double Stitch Rectangle Die. SU papersnips.  Fun Foam.

Supplies Card #2:
Stamps: Layered Butterflies
Paper: SU Whisper White Thick.  Strathmore Hot Press.
Inks: Archival Jet Black.  TH Distress Ink Refills.  SU Daffodil Delight.
Accessories: MISTI.  SU Bone Folder and dimensional.  Penny Black Antique Frame Die. Fun Foam.  Flat paint brush for splatter. Straw.

12 comments:

  1. These are so artsy, Nancy! What gorgeous colors with your Bisters which perhaps are my favorite powders of all. These are both so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two beautiful cards with the butterfly stamp! I of course love the blue one the best - the deckled edge looks great and the orange and blue splatters are a great finishing touch. The blend of bister colours on the other one is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I predict you're going to have a lot of fun with your Bisters! You seem to have a flair for them. Cool background that you cut your second butterfly from, too. All scribbly looking. Amazing what you can do with a straw! That card looks like you sprinkled confetti on it. I like the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy both backgrounds are so beautiful. Your bister one is stunning with all those colours and no muddying :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great butterfly stamp, I too have admired it. Love the openness of it, as it shows off the wonderful Bisters. I love the earthy tones of the powders and they have blended together beautifully. Fabulous cards, both of them and great inspiration from Shirley too x Yes it would be fun to use alcohol inks and yuppo with this stamp...look forward to seeing your makes x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous cards! Love those backgrounds and what a fabulous way to use the butterfly stamp! Thanks so much for joining us at the Stamplorations CAS card challenge this month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two amazing cards with this beautiful butterfly, Nancy! Love the Bister background and the way you used the colored piece for the sentiment! Love the dots of color that match the butterfly on the first card! It would be a fun technique with alcohol ink!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both butterfly cards are so beautiful and artsy, Nancy! They look very different and I love both of them. The way you blended the Bisters is amazing - you can see each earthy primary color and also blended results.
    I wondered how you colored the butterfly of the second card - blowing inks with a straw. How interesting!
    Shirley's sketchy butterfly image is perfect to show off your Bisters background and the unique way of coloring! Hugs.. Hideko

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of getting that butterfly ;-) ...you are definitely convincing me :D
    You are mastering the use of those Bisters. Beautiful blends, both cards are amazing. Such an interesting approach with blowing. Great job! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know how I missed this post!! Your butterfly cards are AMAZING! LOVE the bister background especially. So beautiful with all those different colours blending together to create a very artsy background that is just perfect for your outline butterfly image.

    And great job with using a straw to blow wet alcohol ink into amazing shapes. Very cool! Love it!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning twofer .... very arty! Thanks for playing along with the STAMPlorations CAS challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bisters are so much fun to use for vivid and dynamic backgrounds, the butterflies just pop! Thanks for sharing with us at Stamplorations Theme & Sketch challenge this month!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving your much appreciated comments! Hugs....Nancy