Monday, May 1, 2017

CAS Mix Up May Splattering

Splattering has to be one of my all time favorite techniques for adding interest and a bit of dimension to a Clean and Simple design card.   I was thrilled to see our CAS Mix Up May Splattering Challenge!

I used Stamping + Splattering with acrylic paint + Color Burst Watercolouring and Die Cuts



I used the Rubbernecker "Tulips in Vase" stamp,  which is a challenge!  I placed my 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" piece of Arches Hot Press 140# in my MISTI securing with Creative Corners and then placed my stamp.  I painted the vase and leaves with water using a #4 paint brush then sprinkled with Pthalo Green Color Burst powder and stamped my image.  I opened my MISTI and spritzed more water on my stamp and stamped again and helped move the reconstituted powder around with my wet paint brush.  I then did the same procedure again adding water and Sepia Color Burst to my stamp to ground my stamped image.  Moving the wet ink around with my wet paint brush.  Next I stamped the flowers using Alizarin Crimson Color Burst and the same watercolouring procedure.  I used reconstituted Sepia on my craft mat to add more detail to the flowers for dimension.

It is important to let your watercoloured layers dry before adding the next Color Burst color.  I used CUTplorations Crazy Double Running Stitch Rectangle Die to frame my card front.  Next die cut my image with my CUTplorations ATC Tag Builder Die, which gave a nice beveled edge.  I purposely partially die cut one flower to give an over the edge look.   Almost forgot my sentiment.  My MISTI and Creative Corners came to my rescue. I just placed my card front in my MISTI and secured with CC's. Then stamped my 2 STAMPlorations "Birds of Paradise" sentiments with Archival black ink.  Worked great!

Next I splattered my card front after placing my main image into the die cut area of my card front and masked with 3M masking tape.  I used green diluted acrylic paint and a #8 paint brush to make my splatters.  I only made a few splatters to just give a bit of mixed media interest,  but not distract from my watercoloured main image.  Then I popped up my main image with 3M tape for a popped up inlaid design.  I attached my card front to my SU Whisper White Thick card base.  I was very pleased with my CAS Mixed Media card.  Happy May Day my friends!

I hope you get to join the fun at CAS Mix Up Splattering.  You have until May 24th to play along. Be sure and check out the Design Team and our Guest Designer, Elaine's (Craft-E-Place) beautiful cards too.  Hugs..

 

Supplies: Listed in Description.

More Challenges...

Seize the Birthday: Anything Goes






Time Out Challenge #82: Flowers with the optional twist of Kissing no kissing on my card




20 comments:

  1. Love your wonderfully watercoloured tulips, Nancy! The sentiment font you chose really suits their free-form look! Great job on the splatters - love the way you managed to just get a few well-spaced ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. Such a fun card to create. I did mask my image before I did the splatters :-) Hugs...

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous watercoloured flowers, Nancy. They look hand drawn and are beautiful with your shading and details. The splatters add the perfect finishing touch. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy May Day to you too x Such an artsy and creative card. Love how you've worked with the powders...not easy to work with. Where would we be without the Misti and now the creative corners (Thank you x..love them x). Gorgeous splattering and gorgeous card x Thank you for the inspiration and the clever technique x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a piece of art. Bravo, couldn't wait to read this post to find out how you worked on the vase and flowers. So smart dear Nancy. Love it, hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful watercolor look to your beautiful vase of flowers Nancy! You've created quite a technique for it! The splatter is the perfect simple accent! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have done an awesome job on this difficult (to me) technique, my friend! A beautiful vase of tulips and just the perfect amount of splatters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fabulous Nancy!! It looks just like a miniature painting (well, I suppose, it IS, isn't it). A great technique and the splatters finish it off to perfection! LOVE it! Have a wonderful day my friend! Love & Hugs. Hazel xx
    My Card Attic

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are going to have to show me how you did this. I have this stamp and struggle every time. Awesome image and love the splattering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like splattering! Very pretty with a watercolor look, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These tulips are so pretty with this loose watercolouring Nancy and the Colourburst paints have worked beautifully, and just the right amount of spattering. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, be still, my beating heart! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a winner. Love the tulips and vase stamp. Your watercoloring with colorburst is super too. I love love love to splatter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your watercoloring looks very artistic and real, you could never say you used stamp, amazing job! Thanks for joining us at TIME OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun vase of tulips! Great use of the water colors. Thanks for joining in at STB

    ReplyDelete
  15. wonderful watercolouring mf...I agree, love to splatter and it adds such an extra dimension and beauty..
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I thought you had hand-painted those flowers and vase!! What a cool technique, will have to try it myself. Love all the splattering too, gives such interest to a white background. So very glad you shared this with us at TIME OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful job with the water coloring! Love that die cut edge....and your splatters add just the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you see that this go honours at Time Out Challenges! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TFS Bonnie. I did not see that I got chosen for honourable mentions with 2 other stampers:-) I added badge to my blog. Hugs..

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving your much appreciated comments! Hugs....Nancy